Whether it’s taking that giant leap of quitting your job and finally starting your own business, or going ahead with a new, bold project. Perhaps you’re craving a change of scenery. It all comes down to gritting your teeth, and taking that first step. We all know that first step is the hardest.
Rumi, arguably the Middle East’s greatest poet ever, has a lot to say about this. His poems on love and life are a source of inspiration to many worldwide. It’s no wonder that in 2014 he became the best selling poet in America, even though he died more than 800 years ago. Even Hollywood has announced its intention to tell his story, (although the casting choices have sparked much controversy).
Here are 10 words of advice from the Persian poet to light that fire in you:
1. “Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.”
2.“When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.”
3. “Where there is ruin, there is hope for a treasure.”
4. “Let yourself be drawn by the stronger pull of that which you truly love.”
5. “There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled.
You feel it, don’t you?”
6. “Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames”
7. “Start a huge, foolish project, like Noah…it makes absolutely no difference what people think of you.”
8. “You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life?”
9. “Respond to every call that excites your spirit.”
10. “And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?”